Vegan Apple Bread
Updated: Jul 13, 2018
• 1-3/4 cup whole wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk (or other non-dairy milk)
• 1/4 cup olive oil (or other oil, preferably a healthy oil)
• 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1/2 - 3/4 cup pure maple syrup or honey
• 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
• 2 apples, peeled and grated on large holes of grater
• 3 tablespoons sugar (optional)
• 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5-inch or 8.5x4.5-inch loaf pan by spraying with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined.
3. In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the soymilk, olive oil, applesauce, maple syrup or honey, and vanilla, stir until combined. Stir the grated apples to the wet mix.
4. Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and stir gently until batter is combined.
5. In a small bowl, combine the 3 tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon for the cinnamon layers.
6. Scoop 1/3 of batter into the prepared loaf pan. Spread into even layer. Lightly sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over batter. Optional: using a butter-knife, slightly swirl batter.
7. Scoop in another 1/3 of batter and spread evenly. Again, sprinkle with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Optional: politely swirl.
8. Top with remaining 1/3 of batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon-sugar mixture over top. Optional: gently swirl.
9. Bake your gourmet bread 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean. If you have the patience, it’s best to let the bread cool for about 10 minutes. If you’re me, you let it cool for 30 seconds.
10. Slice and serve that bread!! Enjoy hun!